Monitor Audio - Silver W-12 - Subwoofer
The Monitor Audio Silver Series subwoofer delivers seismic bass right down to 22 Hz using a powerful, long throw 12-inch driver.
The Silver W-12’s over-specified driver assembly employs a hugely powerful magnet system and massive voice coil to deliver immense power from the compact sealed cabinet. A heavy-duty diecast basket not only holds the massive system rigidly together, but also assists thermal sinking to keep the driver cool.
For the Silver W-12 subwoofer Monitor Audio specified a 500-watt Class-D amplifier and power-supply module from highly-regarded amplifier specialist Hypex; this provides incredible headroom and utilises advanced switch-mode power conversion techniques. A powerful DSP has been employed to deliver the best performance and filter characteristics, while running the unique APC (Automatic Position Correction) system. The APC is a completely in-house development, designed to automatically correct for room modes. It uses a microphone and test tones to calculate detrimental room modes and correct frequency response, optimising it for the room and position. This is a simple and quick automated process that is a complete revelation to the installer and ensures the user can enjoy the subwoofer quality without positioning restrictions.
At the heart of the Silver W-12 lies a sophisticated 32-bit micro-controller, monitoring performance thousands of times per second, ensuring the system can deliver the best possible bass. It will never become over-driven or distorted, even at maximum power.
- Ultra long-throw 12-inch driver featuring ‘dished’ C-CAM cone
- Triple suspension for ultimate linearity ensuring control at high power and excursions
- Oversized black anodised 3-inch voice coil which provides high power-handling and low distortion
- Powerful 500 W RMS Class-D amplifier with switching power supply provides instantaneous delivery of high current when required
- DSP processing with all control features and crossover performed digitally
- Automatic Position Correction plus automatic room setup feature using microphone for simple system optimisation
- USB for firmware updates
- Three preset EQ mode settings (Music, Movie, Impact)
1. Thirty-year perfection of metal dome tweeter
Newly developed 1” (25 mm) C-CAM (Ceramic-Coated Aluminium Magnesium) Gold Dome tweeter has the lowest-ever distortion. It provides exquisite treble with crystal-clear highs that are smooth and without harshness.
2. Hallmark drivers beat at the heart
Loudspeakers’ crucial drive units produce the sound waves we hear. Monitor Audio’s signature C-CAM RST ‘dished’ cones (created from a single piece of unique Aluminium Magnesium alloy and formed into a dish profile) ensure pure, undistorted sound across the bass and mid-range. The cone has been developed and perfected using sophisticated computer modelling (Finite Element Analysis) which enables the use of thinner and lighter C-CAM. The internal magnets and voice coils promise a clean sound, even at the high level.
3. Perfecting integration
Top-quality component selection for the crossover networks ensures the various drive units work together seamlessly, creating a unified sound. Polypropylene film capacitors, air-core and laminated steel-core inductors are employed to preserve the best possible signal integrity and deliver ultimate enjoyment.
4. Cabinet rigidity is key
Precision laser scanning research at the world-renowned National Physical Laboratory was a critical part of the Silver Series development. The result is optimal internal bracing, ensuring the most natural sound possible.
Monitor Audio’s unique bolt-through technology provides a cleaner sound with much lower coloration.
5. Standing tall, standing elegantly
Silver Series floorstanders employ ‘outrigger’ feet, constructed from solid metal components to provide a stable platform.
6. Quality components throughout
The slimline grilles of the Silver Series have concealed magnetics for clean-looking baffles. Monitor Audio’s unique HiVe II ports rely on an innovative straight-rifled design to accelerate airflow and reduce turbulence, moving air much faster than inferior port types. The result is an immediately noticeable quick bass with power and weight, and a superior transient response to reveal a true sense of timing.
- Lower Frequency Limit - 20 Hz (Typical IEC room)
- Upper Frequency Limit - 40 – 120 Hz variable
- Low Pass Filter Alignment - Active 4th order 24 db/octave
- Amplifier Output - 500 W continuous
- Amplifier Classification - Class-D amplifier with switched-mode power supply (SMPSU)
- Bass EQ Profiles - 1: Movie, 2: Music, 3: Impact
- Phase Control - 0 & 180 degrees
- Auto Sensing - Line Level >2 mV
- Input Level Requirements - Standby after 20 minutes if no signal sensed
- Drive Unit Complement - 1 x 12" C-CAM subwoofer driver featuring triple suspension and 3" long throw voice coil
- Trigger Input - 5 – 12 V via 3.5 mm mono mini-jack socket
- Cabinet Dimensions (Excluding Grille and Terminals (H x W x D)) - 340 x 340 x 380 mm (133/8" x 133/8" x 1415/16”)
- Dimensions (Including Grille, Amp and Feet) - 370 x 340 x 410 mm (149/16" x 133/8" x 161/8”)
- Mains Input Voltage - 110 – 120 Vac / 220 – 240 Vac 50/60 Hz (Electronically Auto selected)
- Power Consumption - 400 W / 0.5 W in Standby (ErP approved)
- Weight (unpacked) - 20.1 kg (44 lb 5 oz)
Please Note: Natural Oak, Rosenut and Satin White are special order products. Enquire for lead time