The Audio Tailor Voted #1 Australian Hi Fi Store 2021 + 2022
SVS - SB-4000 - Subwoofer
Thank you for visiting The Audio Tailor.
We’re Stuart, Gabby, Nathan and Vaughan. It’s a pleasure to have you here!
The first question we get from customers usually starts with, “What’s the difference between...”
When you’re shopping for new speakers, a turntable, or even thinking of putting together that home theatre of your teenage dreams - you’ll likely be faced with stacks of comparisons.
Why would I buy the Bluesound Pulse 2i when the Flex 2i is half the price?
Is SVS the best?
Should I wait for a sale? Or get this now? What will I be missing out on when the new model comes out next year?
Endless questions. Lots of FOMO. Loads of hmm-ing and ha-ing.
And there SHOULD be.
Because you don’t go to a Hi-Fi store and drop $2000, $3000, or $15000 on something you're not 100%, positively, secure-in-your heart sure of.
It’s a lot of hard-earned money on the line.
Imagine doing hours of your own research. Reading up the suppliers’ websites, taking notes from Hi Fi blogs, categorizing the differing opinions as you trawl r/audiophile. You know what you’re getting. You’ve narrowed the online stores down to the final five. You’ve checked and re-checked that you’re getting the best deal. You’re sure you’re not getting ripped off by shipping.
You hit the “Checkout” button. Momentary relief!
Until your speakers haven’t arrived by the estimated delivery date and you have yet to hear a peep about its progress.
Until your new turntable arrives with a crack in the dust cover.
Until your long-awaited amp set-up fails to deliver the kind of sound you had in mind. Now you’re not even sure if you got the right one anymore, or how to troubleshoot it.
What could possibly be worse?
What about: No after-sales service. No phone number to call. And no one responding to your tickets.
Not to mention the hundreds of man hours you’ve already lost on reading layman opinions from the likes of Graham H. from Melbourne and Sarah D. from Perth; dutifully scrolling through pages and pages of reviews. Torturing yourself by looking for all the ones with less than 3 stars... when you could have been sitting back and diving into a whole new world of immersive sound and deliciously satisfying body vibrations.
Would it make sense to go to audio specialists that know brands, specs, and installation like the back of their hands?
Should you spend less time on weighing up pros and cons and more time enjoying good music?
Want to get the absolute best home theatre for your budget and surroundings without the weight of 100++ brand offerings bogging you down?
We like to think so!
And that’s why we’re here. Two things to know about us:
Thing 1: We were voted Australia’s 2021 Hi Fi Retailer of the Year (Yay! And THANK YOU!)
Thing 2: This is purely because we are sound specialists and audioheads - NOT salesmen.
We got into this business because we genuinely love audio and because we realized there was a lot of faceless dropshipping in the HiFi industry - and not enough expertise out there. People who keep coming back to us do so because they’re getting attention to detail and individualized solutions that they can’t find elsewhere.
Our clients don’t need to worry about budget, brand name, or size.
All they need to worry about, is talking to us.
Because, when you come to us, you’re in for a conversation.
We want to know the picture in your head.
That final portrait of you back from the flea market with Pearl Jam’s Ten, eager to place it gently upon a turntable you haven’t quite decided on yet.
A summer barbeque in your garden with the boys. Having a yarn around a beer-filled cooler while appreciating the crisp, clear, quality of sound streaming through the open doors of your listening space.
The kids having mates over - quiet for once - immersed in a good movie, lights out, in the comfort of the home theatre that is your pride and joy. “I wish we had one of these at our place!”
Once we know precisely what your ultimate scenario looks like, we’ll want to know what you’re working with.
What kind of budget have you set aside?
What’s the existing set-up look like?
How big is the listening room you have in mind?
How much ambient light is coming in?
Are you running drywall or wood panelling? Carpet or hardwood?
What about room resonance and reflection?
No idea what we’re going on about? No worries. We intend to talk you through all that. Our aim is that you get the absolute best sound system for your home, at a price point you’re happy with, and an aesthetic you can’t help but want to show off.
To get to this end goal, an unhealthy interest in all things audio simply isn’t enough. That’s why we spend countless hours behind the scenes sourcing products from only the most reliable brands and trustworthy suppliers - regardless of their branding and marketing.
We don’t rely on them to tell us what’s good about their equipment. We’ve developed our own proactive testing process to judge what’s what. So you get hands-on knowledge every single time. Coupled with our tight networks and stable supply chain meticulously refined over the years, we strive to ensure that the experience you get at The Audio Tailor is personal, seamless, and painless.
Personal, because it’s uniquely you in musicality, design, and taste. Your options are hand picked by us from amongst some of the world’s biggest, best, and most dependable brands.
Seamless, because we’re only small. You get one of us. Not one of dozens of salesmen milling about the place, working for commission and pushing the most expensive products.
Painless, because we don’t recommend anything until we’re clear about your needs. We follow up with you to make sure everything’s arrived in one piece. For us, the transaction isn’t over until your equipment is safely installed and fully satisfying.
Some of the big things we feel are missing in the HiFi world are:
- The need for expertise before, during, and after the sale
- A vast wealth of comparative knowledge, and
- A commitment to end-to-end service.
At The Audio Tailor, we hope we’ve made it clear that service doesn’t shut off when a problem pops up. It’s an opportunity to tighten the ship we run, bolster our 5-star reputation, and most importantly - make someone’s day.
Hi! We see you’ve actually made it to the end of this page. Love it!
We’d like to end this by giving a shout out to all the enthusiasts and audiophiles we’ve been fortunate enough to work with over the years. It has been a privilege to share our desire, passion, and journey for the purest sound and finest entertainment solutions for your homes and businesses.
Thank you to all our customers - past, present, and future - for helping us chase after something above the ordinary.
To make your audio dreams come true - call, email, or hop on down to our Brisbane store.
We’re looking forward to meeting you!
Chest-thumping slam and low frequency extension below the threshold of human hearing, with refined musicality – a level of subwoofer performance not seen at this price before. The SB-4000 subwoofer’s sophisticated DSP amplifier, innovative driver and a sealed box design master room gain and command a space with deeper bass and higher output levels than what is typically possible from a subwoofer of its size. An ideal option for reference quality bass in audiophile music or home theater systems, the SB-4000 sets all performance benchmarks for a subwoofer and leaves larger and more expensive subs trembling in its wake.
Unparalleled Low Frequency Depth, Power and Detail
The SVS SB-4000 powered subwoofer demolishes all preconceived notions about subwoofer performance and technology by taking command of any room with deep, effortless bass and adding visceral energy to every listening experience. With trickle down technology from the 16-Ultra Series, named top subwoofers in the world by nearly every audio publication and industry group in 2017, the SB-4000 obliterates expectations and delivers a level of unrivaled subwoofer performance only available from SVS.
High-Excursion SVS Driver – Legendary SVS Output and Control
The SB-4000 subwoofer delivers on the full potential of the Sledge STA-1200D amplifier’s power with precision and control to produce room energizing SPLs and effortless low frequency extension with pinpoint accuracy at all drive levels.
- Dual ferrite magnet motor assembly weighing nearly 40lbs generates immense magnetic force and excursion of the 13.5-inch driver to produce massive low frequency output well below the limits of human hearing.
- Edge wound voice coil with eight-layer aluminum flat wire minimizes distortion and power compression while providing excellent heat dissipation and linearity ensuring precise control.
- Lightweight and rigid composite cone with premium glass fiber dustcap generate massive output with pinpoint accurate frequency response.
- Proprietary injection moulded gasket and long-throw parabolic surround ensure longevity and allow extreme excursion and SPLs.
Sledge Amplifier – Massive Output, Sophisticated DSP, Advanced Power Management
Rated conservatively at 1,200 watts RMS, and 4,000+ watts peak power, the SB-4000 Sledge STA-1200D amplifier uses an efficient Class D design combined with fully discrete MOSFET output and a sophisticated Analog Devices DSP engine. The result is a level of effortless power and advanced processing not available from any other powered subwoofer manufacturer.
High Current Output of Fully Discrete MOSFETs with Efficiency of Class D Amplifier
Efficiency of a Class D amplifier with the ability to move massive amounts of current through the fully discrete MOSFETs enabling immense output and precise control for outstanding real-world subwoofer performance at all drive levels.
Sophisticated 50Mhz High Resolution Analog Devices Audio DSP
Most advanced digital processor ever used in a subwoofer maintains pinpoint accuracy and pristine sound quality through advanced in-room tuning, optimised frequency response curves, powerful DSP controls and more.
Active Power Factor Correction (PFC) & Ground Loop Isolation
Serves as a line conditioner, surge suppressor and voltage regulator letting the amplifier deal with wide voltage fluctuations and ensuring the subwoofers operate flawlessly on any household circuit no matter how unstable the incoming current. An isolated circuit creates a vanishingly low noise floor by eliminating the potential for ground loop hums from outside components resulting in absolute sonic transparency.
SB-4000 Smartphone App – Easiest Way Ever to Manage Subwoofer DSP and Control
Groundbreaking smartphone app works with Apple iOS® and Android® devices to unleash the full depth, force and nuance of the SB-4000 powered subwoofer by controlling all DSP functions including: volume, parametric EQ, low pass filter, phase, polarity, room gain, port tuning, custom presets and system settings.
- Connects via Bluetooth for convenient control even when subwoofer is out of sight.
- 3-band parametric EQ controller allows precise adjustments for frequency slope and Q factor down to the single Hz level with four different slopes, so users can improve performance by eliminating peaks, nulls and other room issues.
- Stores 3 custom presets for movies, music and other listening experiences such as sports or gaming.
- 2-way feedback shows updates in real time on both the app and subwoofer interface
Acoustically Inert and Rigidly Braced Sealed Box Cabinet Design
Inlaid front panel display, rounded edges and a curved metal grille on the sealed box SB-4000 cabinet give it a refined yet commanding look that blends visually with home theaters and high-end audio systems. It’s sealed cabinet design results in tighter, more musical bass and make it significantly more compact than ported box subwoofers with similar specs.
- Double thick 2-inch MDF front baffle and rigid internal bracing to support the massive drive unit and to ensure an acoustically inert environment.
- Highly reinforced internal design and acoustic insulation eliminates all coloration or resonance from the cabinet, even when the deepest low frequencies are played at reference volume.
- Protective, non-resonant steel mesh grille and custom elastomer feet for reducing noise artefacts within a room.
Specifications and Features
Frequency Response / Acoustic Data:
- 19-310Hz ± 3 dB/li>
- Roll-off slope specifically optimised to take maximum advantage of available room gain/li>
- 2-meter ground plane away from reflective structures (quasi-anechoic).
- Premium Black Ash and Piano Gloss Black finish options
- Protective non-resonant steel mesh grille
- Front-firing 13.5" driver
- Rear-mounted amplifier
- Screw-in rubber feet
- Robust Medium Density Fiberboard(MDF) cabinet construction
- Cabinet Dimensions (without grille): 18.3” (465mm) H X 17.8” (453mm) W X 18.6” (471.3mm) D
- Cabinet Dimensions (with grille): 18.3” (465mm) H X 17.8” (453mm) W X 20.9” (530mm) D
- Weight (unboxed): 102.3 lbs. (46.4 kg)
- High-performance SVS 4000 Series Subwoofer Driver - optimized for sealed cabinet design.
- Proprietary 13.5” Driver with finely tuned Overhung Motor Configuration
- 43lb (19.5kg) pound Woofer with 37.7lb (17.1kg) pounds for the motor
- Overhung 52mm Xmax, 76.2mm Xmech precision aligned excursion
- 8-layer aluminum flat wire edge wound 3” voice coil for ultra-low distortion, efficient heat dissipation, exceptional linearity and nearly zero power compression.
- Two massive, dedicated toroidal ferrite magnets generate unparalleled levels of magnetic force to drive the highest levels of excursion, SPL, and start/go power for the deepest and most authoritative bass possible.
- All-new High density FEA-optimized cast aluminum basket provides unequaled levels of rigidity, tensile strength, and energy transference available from a subwoofer.
- Dual 24-strand copper and Nomex composite high-temperature leads woven through the suspension provide a pristine electrical connection from the amplifier to the voice coil.
- Premium glass fiber laminated dustcap and reinforced and vented paper-composite cone sub-structure ensure a light, ridged, and neutral radiating surface.
- Precision machined motor elements and narrow tolerance suspension parts produce unmatched linearity at full excursion for exceptionally tight and fast output, even at reference volumes.
- Extreme oversized low carbon vented steel U-yoke and top plate provide superior cooling and improved magnetics for maximum performance and efficiency.
- Copper ring shorting sleeve reduces gap induction and distortion, enhances thermal conductivity
- Nickle-plated high-tension spring terminals
- Proprietary injection molded gasket and parabolic SBR extreme-excursion surround maintains ideal pistonic motion for pinpoint accuracy and control
- Low carbon 1008 steel components with black electrophoresis plating
- Massively powerful Sledge 1,200-watt continuous Class D design with 4,000+ watts of Peak Power.
- Unmatched intelligence from user adjustable low pass, phase, polarity and room gain compensation with three parametric EQs and port tuning (Ported models only) for absolute best alignment with speakers and optimized performance in any room.
- Groundbreaking SVS Bluetooth DSP control app for iOS and Android devices with three user presets allow custom tuning for every room and system.
- High efficiency cool-running Class D switching topology with massive 32 Amp 600 Volt MOSFET’s result in lower EMI and highest efficiency while providing effortless power to produce SPLs and low frequency output with pristine clarity well beyond reference listening levels.
- High resolution 50Mhz Analog Devices Audio DSP with double precision 56bit filtering is most advanced subwoofer processor available for perfect audio reproduction.
- 100v-240v full range input active Power Factor Correction (PFC) pre-regulates mains to solid 360V DC regardless of mains voltage or quality so the sound quality never falters no matter what’s coming out of the wall
- Active PFC lowers average current and smooths mains input current allowing for 1200W output from a standard 15A mains circuit.
- XLR and RCA stereo input/output with ultra-wide input voltage for consumer and professional audio applications.
- Convenient front-mounted display featuring new Intelligent Feature Control (IFC) with bright blue dimmable/defeatable 8-digit LED front display.
- Custom EQ and DSP limiter settings tuned specifically for the SB-4000 sealed cabinet design.
- Auto/On and 3-30V AC/DC trigger for Maximum Installation Convenience.
- Input impedance 22kohm (unbalanced RCA)/ 22kohm (balanced XLR).
- Green 0.5-watt low standby power consumption
- RoHS compliant, lead-free construction, world-wide safety certifications
SVS App Specs:
- The most powerful and flexible Bluetooth controlled subwoofer DSP app, works with both iOS and Android operating systems.
- Easiest and most convenient way to adjust crossover frequencies, parametric EQ, polarity, room gain and all other bass management functions.
- Three convenient custom presets allow for perfect tuning in any room or system, from your favourite seat.
- Single tap adjustment for controlling variable port tuning with standard, extended and sealed modes.
- Unique bidirectional feedback shows adjustments in real time on both app and subwoofer interface.
- Easy-to-follow tutorial provides clear guidance for all functions.
- Protective non-resonant steel mesh grill
- IR remote control
- Elastomer feet included
- Extra heavy-duty, high current 6' power cord
- SB-4000 Subwoofer Manual
- Quick Start Guide