Golden Ear - Super Sub XXL - Subwoofer
GoldenEar's best subwoofer, the new SuperSub™ Series models are ultra-high-performance yet amazingly compact subwoofers that incorporate many recently developed unique and advanced technologies and components. The goal was to create beautifully styled, finely finished, reasonably sized subwoofers that could generate very low-frequency pressure waves of extremely high amplitude, while delivering accurate and precise low-frequency performance that is both highly impactful and extremely musical.
In order to achieve this, the SuperSubs, GoldenEar's best subwoofer series, incorporates a unique, patented* 360 degree dual-plane inertially-balanced driver and sub-bass radiator topology, combined with a very advanced electronics package. With two active drivers separated horizontally in space, as well as two passive radiators separated vertically, the driver-to-room coupling is distributed much more smoothly, for in-room bass performance that can’t typically be achieved with a single subwoofer.
The electronics packages that drive the SuperSubs' fully balanced array are a 1600 watt (XXL) and 1400 watt (X) Class D Digital amplifiers whose design is based on the technology originally developed for the GoldenEar Triton One tower. Features include: Discrete multi-band limiting, phase-perfect equalization, fully balanced and advanced reconstruction filters and a strong focus on keeping latency to an absolute minimum. Input facilities include a direct-coupled, unfiltered LFE input for home theatre, or stereo Left/Right low-level inputs with low-pass for two-channel setups. Sonically, the result of all this technology is a rock-solid bass response that is both exceptionally fast and tuneful for music and extraordinarily deep and powerful, in order to effortlessly reproduce the most extreme movie sound effects.
Housed within the gorgeous piano-gloss black enclosure are two horizontally-opposed 12˝ ultra-long-throw active drivers and two vertically-opposed 15˝ x 13˝ planar infrasonic radiators, driven by a 1600 watt Class D Digital amplifier. This dual-plane, patented* dynamic inertial-balancing preserves and focuses all the energy produced by the transducers in order to more effectively move the air in the room, rather than wasting energy moving the box. It also enables you to hear all the fine subtle details in your recordings. The benefit is a new achievement in state-of-the-art, best subwoofer performance that, not only “rocks the house”, as Big Picture Big Sound’s Chris Boylan raved, but is also, “strong, pure and controlled” as Sound&Vision magazine’s Mark Fleischman wrote. With two active drivers separated horizontally in space, as well as two passive radiators separated vertically, the driver to-room coupling is distributed much more smoothly, for in-room bass performance that can’t typically be achieved with a single subwoofer.
Quadratic Planar Infrasonic Radiator
- Pressure-Coupled Loading Extends Usable Bass Performance to the Infrasonic Region
- Performs Like a Well-Tuned Transmission Line but with Superior Transient Performance and Control
Ultra-Long-Throw Sub-Bass Driver
- Ultra-Long Throw High-Output Bass Driver for Powerful Room-Shaking Bass
- Superior Transient Performance for Exceptional Detail
- Computer Optimized Ultra-Stiff Fiber Cone
- Massive High-Gauss Magnet Assembly
- Dimensions (height includes feet): 9-3/4˝ (50 cm) W x 17-5/8˝ (44.6 cm) H x 15-7/8˝ (40.4 cm) D
- Weight - 37.2 kg
- Frequency Response - 10 Hz - 250 Hz
- Driver Complement - Two 12˝ long-throw high-output bass drivers, Two 13˝ x 15˝ quadratic planar infrasonic radiators
- Amplifier - 1600 Watt ForceField digital amplifier
- LFE Line-Level Input - Unfiltered (no low pass), direct-coupled
- Right/Left Line-Level Input - Variable Low-Pass from 40 Hz – 150 Hz
- Fuse Size - 8-amp 250-volt slow blow fuse (110-volt version), 6.3-amp 250-volt slow blow fuse (240-volt version)
- Power Requirements/Consumption (approved for NA (TUV) and the CE market.) - Low Voltage Version – 120 V at 50 or 60 Hz / 1600 Watts, High Voltage Version – 240 V at 50 or 60 Hz / 1600 Watts