The Audio Tailor Voted #1 Australian Hi Fi Store 2021 + 2022
Pro-Ject - Automat A1 - Turntable (COMING SOON!)
Thank you for visiting The Audio Tailor.
We’re Stuart, Gabby, Nathan and Vaughan. It’s a pleasure to have you here!
The first question we get from customers usually starts with, “What’s the difference between...”
When you’re shopping for new speakers, a turntable, or even thinking of putting together that home theatre of your teenage dreams - you’ll likely be faced with stacks of comparisons.
Why would I buy the Bluesound Pulse 2i when the Flex 2i is half the price?
Is Pro-Ject the best?
Should I wait for a sale? Or get this now? What will I be missing out on when the new model comes out next year?
Endless questions. Lots of FOMO. Loads of hmm-ing and ha-ing.
And there SHOULD be.
Because you don’t go to a Hi-Fi store and drop $2000, $3000, or $15000 on something you're not 100%, positively, secure-in-your heart sure of.
It’s a lot of hard-earned money on the line.
Imagine doing hours of your own research. Reading up the suppliers’ websites, taking notes from Hi Fi blogs, categorizing the differing opinions as you trawl r/audiophile. You know what you’re getting. You’ve narrowed the online stores down to the final five. You’ve checked and re-checked that you’re getting the best deal. You’re sure you’re not getting ripped off by shipping.
You hit the “Checkout” button. Momentary relief!
Until your speakers haven’t arrived by the estimated delivery date and you have yet to hear a peep about its progress.
Until your new turntable arrives with a crack in the dust cover.
Until your long-awaited amp set-up fails to deliver the kind of sound you had in mind. Now you’re not even sure if you got the right one anymore, or how to troubleshoot it.
What could possibly be worse?
What about: No after-sales service. No phone number to call. And no one responding to your tickets.
Not to mention the hundreds of man hours you’ve already lost on reading layman opinions from the likes of Graham H. from Melbourne and Sarah D. from Perth; dutifully scrolling through pages and pages of reviews. Torturing yourself by looking for all the ones with less than 3 stars... when you could have been sitting back and diving into a whole new world of immersive sound and deliciously satisfying body vibrations.
Would it make sense to go to audio specialists that know brands, specs, and installation like the back of their hands?
Should you spend less time on weighing up pros and cons and more time enjoying good music?
Want to get the absolute best home theatre for your budget and surroundings without the weight of 100++ brand offerings bogging you down?
We like to think so!
And that’s why we’re here. Two things to know about us:
Thing 1: We were voted Australia’s 2021 Hi Fi Retailer of the Year (Yay! And THANK YOU!)
Thing 2: This is purely because we are sound specialists and audioheads - NOT salesmen.
We got into this business because we genuinely love audio and because we realized there was a lot of faceless dropshipping in the HiFi industry - and not enough expertise out there. People who keep coming back to us do so because they’re getting attention to detail and individualized solutions that they can’t find elsewhere.
Our clients don’t need to worry about budget, brand name, or size.
All they need to worry about, is talking to us.
Because, when you come to us, you’re in for a conversation.
We want to know the picture in your head.
That final portrait of you back from the flea market with Pearl Jam’s Ten, eager to place it gently upon a turntable you haven’t quite decided on yet.
A summer barbeque in your garden with the boys. Having a yarn around a beer-filled cooler while appreciating the crisp, clear, quality of sound streaming through the open doors of your listening space.
The kids having mates over - quiet for once - immersed in a good movie, lights out, in the comfort of the home theatre that is your pride and joy. “I wish we had one of these at our place!”
Once we know precisely what your ultimate scenario looks like, we’ll want to know what you’re working with.
What kind of budget have you set aside?
What’s the existing set-up look like?
How big is the listening room you have in mind?
How much ambient light is coming in?
Are you running drywall or wood panelling? Carpet or hardwood?
What about room resonance and reflection?
No idea what we’re going on about? No worries. We intend to talk you through all that. Our aim is that you get the absolute best sound system for your home, at a price point you’re happy with, and an aesthetic you can’t help but want to show off.
To get to this end goal, an unhealthy interest in all things audio simply isn’t enough. That’s why we spend countless hours behind the scenes sourcing products from only the most reliable brands and trustworthy suppliers - regardless of their branding and marketing.
We don’t rely on them to tell us what’s good about their equipment. We’ve developed our own proactive testing process to judge what’s what. So you get hands-on knowledge every single time. Coupled with our tight networks and stable supply chain meticulously refined over the years, we strive to ensure that the experience you get at The Audio Tailor is personal, seamless, and painless.
Personal, because it’s uniquely you in musicality, design, and taste. Your options are hand picked by us from amongst some of the world’s biggest, best, and most dependable brands.
Seamless, because we’re only small. You get one of us. Not one of dozens of salesmen milling about the place, working for commission and pushing the most expensive products.
Painless, because we don’t recommend anything until we’re clear about your needs. We follow up with you to make sure everything’s arrived in one piece. For us, the transaction isn’t over until your equipment is safely installed and fully satisfying.
Some of the big things we feel are missing in the HiFi world are:
- The need for expertise before, during, and after the sale
- A vast wealth of comparative knowledge, and
- A commitment to end-to-end service.
At The Audio Tailor, we hope we’ve made it clear that service doesn’t shut off when a problem pops up. It’s an opportunity to tighten the ship we run, bolster our 5-star reputation, and most importantly - make someone’s day.
Hi! We see you’ve actually made it to the end of this page. Love it!
We’d like to end this by giving a shout out to all the enthusiasts and audiophiles we’ve been fortunate enough to work with over the years. It has been a privilege to share our desire, passion, and journey for the purest sound and finest entertainment solutions for your homes and businesses.
Thank you to all our customers - past, present, and future - for helping us chase after something above the ordinary.
To make your audio dreams come true - call, email, or hop on down to our Brisbane store.
We’re looking forward to meeting you!
The Beginning Of A New Pro-Ject Story
The A1 introduces Pro-Jects completely new Automat Line. They have always had one purpose since their establishment in 1991: bring HiFi Stereo music enjoyment to as many people as possible. Pro-Ject are very happy to expand their product catalog with a fully automatic entry-level turntable and create new opportunities for future vinyl beginners and enthusiasts. The A1 is handmade in Germany by a traditional manufacture with a wealth of experience in making automatic turntables. Even the individual components are 98% made and produced in Germany. Paired with Pro-Ject technology and ideas, they set new standards in automatic turntable design. Pro-Ject's new A1 is your best companion to comfortably enjoy your favourite vinyls.
- Ortofon OM10 - Detailed Response & Microdynamics. A little-known fact is that the OM series of cartridges have their developmental roots and legacy in ultra-light-mass tonearm designs. Pre-fitted and adjusted in our factory, it is the perfect partner for your A1.
- New Headshell - Carbon fibre reinforced. The headshell is made of carbon fibre reinforced polymer which is super stable and rigid, while keeping the weight super low. The composite material results in excellent internal damping of resonances.
- Wood Chassis - Heavy and avoids hollow spaces. The chassis avoids hollow spaces wherever possible, with just enough space to precision fit all the inner workings of the A1. As a result, the chassis’ heavy mass reduces unwanted resonances to a minimum.
- Damped Platter - Precision balanced aluminium. The damping ring on the inside adds weight and reduces resonances. In the last step the platter is turned and precision balanced to receive its fine edges and lowest wow and flutter deviations.
- Connect it E - Semi-balanced RCA cable. To guarantee a perfect connection to your amp we use a high-quality phono RCA cable. Our Connect it E is a semi-balanced, low-capacitance cable, with superior shielding.
- Phono Preamp - Built-in switchable preamp. If you don't have a phono preamplifier in your current HiFi setup you will benefit of the A1s built-in one. If you want to use another phono preamp, you can easliy switch it off.
- 33/45 RPM - Ready for singles & LPs. No need to change the belt position. Easily change speed with the push of only a single button & listen to your favourite LPs aswell as singles.
- Automat Line - Handmade in Germany. The A1 is fully handmade in Germany and looks back on decades of experience. Paired with Pro-Ject technology, it sets new standards in automatic turntable design.
The A1 has a fully automatic start/stop with the automatics being completely disengaged and decoupled during the entire runtime of the record. The fully mechanical automatics are engaged when you press start and the tonearm is automatically moved to the lead in groove of the record. Once playing, the automatics are completely taken out of the equation and do not affect the playback quality.
ULM Aluminium Tonearm
The A1 features an 8.3” ultra-light-mass aluminium tonearm. Together with the Ortofon OM10, which fits this design principle perfectly, we get extraordinary fast response and detail in terms of transients and microdynamics. Tracking force and anti-skating are factory pre-adjusted which make the A1 plug & play ready within a few seconds. This makes it perfect for vinyl beginners and experienced listeners alike as the sound quality is carried by all the audiophile features the A1 has on offer.
- Speed: 33, 45 (electronic speed change)
- Drive principle: belt drive, fully automatic
- Platter: damped aluminium platter
- Wow & Flutter: 33: +/-0,27%; 45: +/-0,25%
- Speed Drift: 33: +/-0,75%; 45: +/-0,65%
- Signal to noise: 65dB
- Tonearm: ultra-light-mass 8,3” aluminium tonearm
- Effective arm length:211mm
- Overhang: 19,5mm
- Included accessories: 15V DC / 0,8A power supply, dust cover, 7‘‘ single adapter, feltmat, phono cable
- Power consumption: 1,5W
- Dimensions: 430 x 130 x 365 mm (WxHxD)
- Weight: 5,6 kg net