About The Audio Tailor
Thank you for visiting The Audio Tailor.
We’re Stuart, Gabby, Nathan and Vaughan. It’s a pleasure to have you here!
The first question we get from customers usually starts with, “What’s the difference between...”
When you’re shopping for new speakers, a turntable, or even thinking of putting together that home theatre of your teenage dreams - you’ll likely be faced with stacks of comparisons.
Why would I buy the Bluesound Pulse 2i when the Flex 2i is half the price?
Is Lumin the best?
Should I wait for a sale? Or get this now? What will I be missing out on when the new model comes out next year?
Endless questions. Lots of FOMO. Loads of hmm-ing and ha-ing.
And there SHOULD be.
Because you don’t go to a Hi-Fi store and drop $2000, $3000, or $15000 on something you're not 100%, positively, secure-in-your heart sure of.
It’s a lot of hard-earned money on the line.
Imagine doing hours of your own research. Reading up the suppliers’ websites, taking notes from Hi Fi blogs, categorizing the differing opinions as you trawl r/audiophile. You know what you’re getting. You’ve narrowed the online stores down to the final five. You’ve checked and re-checked that you’re getting the best deal. You’re sure you’re not getting ripped off by shipping.
You hit the “Checkout” button. Momentary relief!
Until your speakers haven’t arrived by the estimated delivery date and you have yet to hear a peep about its progress.
Until your new turntable arrives with a crack in the dust cover.
Until your long-awaited amp set-up fails to deliver the kind of sound you had in mind. Now you’re not even sure if you got the right one anymore, or how to troubleshoot it.
What could possibly be worse?
What about: No after-sales service. No phone number to call. And no one responding to your tickets.
Not to mention the hundreds of man hours you’ve already lost on reading layman opinions from the likes of Graham H. from Melbourne and Sarah D. from Perth; dutifully scrolling through pages and pages of reviews. Torturing yourself by looking for all the ones with less than 3 stars... when you could have been sitting back and diving into a whole new world of immersive sound and deliciously satisfying body vibrations.
Would it make sense to go to audio specialists that know brands, specs, and installation like the back of their hands?
Should you spend less time on weighing up pros and cons and more time enjoying good music?
Want to get the absolute best home theatre for your budget and surroundings without the weight of 100++ brand offerings bogging you down?
We like to think so!
And that’s why we’re here. Two things to know about us:
Thing 1: We were voted Australia’s 2021 Hi Fi Retailer of the Year (Yay! And THANK YOU!)
Thing 2: This is purely because we are sound specialists and audioheads - NOT salesmen.
We got into this business because we genuinely love audio and because we realized there was a lot of faceless dropshipping in the HiFi industry - and not enough expertise out there. People who keep coming back to us do so because they’re getting attention to detail and individualized solutions that they can’t find elsewhere.
Our clients don’t need to worry about budget, brand name, or size.
All they need to worry about, is talking to us.
Because, when you come to us, you’re in for a conversation.
We want to know the picture in your head.
That final portrait of you back from the flea market with Pearl Jam’s Ten, eager to place it gently upon a turntable you haven’t quite decided on yet.
A summer barbeque in your garden with the boys. Having a yarn around a beer-filled cooler while appreciating the crisp, clear, quality of sound streaming through the open doors of your listening space.
The kids having mates over - quiet for once - immersed in a good movie, lights out, in the comfort of the home theatre that is your pride and joy. “I wish we had one of these at our place!”
Once we know precisely what your ultimate scenario looks like, we’ll want to know what you’re working with.
What kind of budget have you set aside?
What’s the existing set-up look like?
How big is the listening room you have in mind?
How much ambient light is coming in?
Are you running drywall or wood panelling? Carpet or hardwood?
What about room resonance and reflection?
No idea what we’re going on about? No worries. We intend to talk you through all that. Our aim is that you get the absolute best sound system for your home, at a price point you’re happy with, and an aesthetic you can’t help but want to show off.
To get to this end goal, an unhealthy interest in all things audio simply isn’t enough. That’s why we spend countless hours behind the scenes sourcing products from only the most reliable brands and trustworthy suppliers - regardless of their branding and marketing.
We don’t rely on them to tell us what’s good about their equipment. We’ve developed our own proactive testing process to judge what’s what. So you get hands-on knowledge every single time. Coupled with our tight networks and stable supply chain meticulously refined over the years, we strive to ensure that the experience you get at The Audio Tailor is personal, seamless, and painless.
Personal, because it’s uniquely you in musicality, design, and taste. Your options are hand picked by us from amongst some of the world’s biggest, best, and most dependable brands.
Seamless, because we’re only small. You get one of us. Not one of dozens of salesmen milling about the place, working for commission and pushing the most expensive products.
Painless, because we don’t recommend anything until we’re clear about your needs. We follow up with you to make sure everything’s arrived in one piece. For us, the transaction isn’t over until your equipment is safely installed and fully satisfying.
Some of the big things we feel are missing in the HiFi world are:
- The need for expertise before, during, and after the sale
- A vast wealth of comparative knowledge, and
- A commitment to end-to-end service.
At The Audio Tailor, we hope we’ve made it clear that service doesn’t shut off when a problem pops up. It’s an opportunity to tighten the ship we run, bolster our 5-star reputation, and most importantly - make someone’s day.
Hi! We see you’ve actually made it to the end of this page. Love it!
We’d like to end this by giving a shout out to all the enthusiasts and audiophiles we’ve been fortunate enough to work with over the years. It has been a privilege to share our desire, passion, and journey for the purest sound and finest entertainment solutions for your homes and businesses.
Thank you to all our customers - past, present, and future - for helping us chase after something above the ordinary.
To make your audio dreams come true - call, email, or hop on down to our Brisbane store.
We’re looking forward to meeting you!
THE HEART OF YOUR SYSTEM
With analogue and digital inputs, LUMIN P1 becomes your new audio hub
Lumin’s most flexible player yet, LUMIN P1 is designed to sit right in the heart of your audio system.
Use as a streamer, a DAC, a pre-amplifier or all three!
LUMIN P1 makes system integration easier than ever:
- 9 digital & analogue inputs
- USB Digital Audio input & output support up to Native DSD512
- Balanced & unbalanced analogue inputs
- SPDIF & AES input support up to 192/24 with DoP
- HDMI 2.0 inputs & 4K passthrough with ARC support
Specified for exceptional musical performance:
- New processor delivers native DSD512 & PCM384 playback
- Dual Mono design throughout maximises channel separation
- Dual ES9028PRO SABRE DACs in Mono mode
- Femto Clock System with precision FPGA distribution
- New integrated dual-toroidal linear power supply & all-in-one chassis
- Fibre Network provides complete isolation from network digital noise
- Leedh Processing lossless volume control
9 digital & analogue inputs
- Industry-leading XMOS USB audio controller
- Native DSD512 and PCM384 compatible
- Windows 10 & Mac OS compatibility
- DoP64 / 192 kHz 24-bit compatible
- TOSLINK, SPDIF (RCA), AES inputs
- Balanced and Unbalanced analogue input
- LEEDH volume processing
- Passthrough function for home cinema integration
- HDMI 2.0 Specification compatible
- Supports 2.0 PCM audio decoding
- HDR, Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos, DTS passthrough
- ARC compatible output
New Remote Control
A new tactile infrared remote control allows easy change of input, volume adjustment, playlist navigation and more.
The exceptionally well-constructed acrylic and zinc LUMIN remote is made in Austria and is enirely Roon Ready.
The new infrared receiver built in to LUMIN P1 is compatible with universal remote controls, phones and automation systems.
Flexible setup options
Use as a streamer, a DAC, a pre-amplifier or all three!
- IDEA 1 - STREAMING DAC: LUMIN P1 can be used like all other LUMIN players. With its DSD512/PCM384 support, Femto Clock System, Fibre Networking, toroidal power supply, and Leedh Processing, P1 is second only to LUMIN X1 in pure streaming ability.
- IDEA 2 - HI-FI HUB: Connect all your stereo sources to LUMIN P1 and attach a power amplifier and you've got everything you need for an incredible music system.
- IDEA 3 - 2-CHANNEL TV SYSTEM: No need for an AV Receiver. Simply attach your HDMI sources to LUMIN P1 and P1 to your TV. With HDMI ARC, all your audio comes through your main speakers.
Supported Streaming Services
- Roon ready
- TubeIn Radio
Leedh Processing Digital Volume Control
Lossless volume control for all LUMIN players. LUMIN users now have the option to use (at no additional cost) Leedh Processing Volume Control instead of the default processing algorithm.
- An innovative new digital volume adjustment algorithm that eliminates rounding errors.
- Modifies the digital signal amplitude exactly, without any changes to its shape and free from any kind of information loss.
- Uses more efficient whole number volume values to maintain audio information integrity during subsequent DAC conversion.
- Low processing power requirements free up cpu resources.
- Removes need for a pre-amplifier in more systems.
- Improves the quality of the signal into LUMIN Amp.
Enquire for more information on how to use/turn off Leedh processing
P1 SPECIFICATION HIGHLIGHTS
- NETWORK PLAYBACK: Up to DSD512; Up to 384 kHz, 16–32-bit, Stereo; MQA Full Decoding
- UPSAMPLING RATES & BIT DEPTHS: DSD128 upsampling option for all files; PCM 384kHz upsampling option for all files
- DIGITAL INPUT (USB): USB Audio Class 2 Compatible, WINDOWS 10 (Release 1703 or above) / Mac OSX or above, DoP 128 support, PCM 44.1–384 kHz, 16–32-bit, Stereo.
- DIGITAL INPUT (AES/OPTICAL/SPDIF): PCM 44.1 kHz–192 kHz, 16–24-bit; DSD64 (DoP64, DSD over PCM)
- DIGITAL INPUT (HDMI x 3): PCM 2.0 Audio support; 4K Video Passthrough
- DIGITAL OUTPUT (USB): Native DSD512 support; PCM 44.1–384 kHz, 16–32-bit, Stereo
- DIGITAL OUTPUT (BNC SPDIF): PCM 44.1 kHz–192 kHz, 16–24-bit; DSD64 (DoP64, DSD over PCM)
- DIGITAL OUTPUT (HDMI x 1 - HDMI PASSTHROUGH AND ARC SUPPORT): PCM 2.0 Audio support; 4K Video Passthrough; ARC (Audio Return Channel) support
- ANALOGUE INPUT: RCA Unbalanced x1; XLR Balanced x1
- ANALOG OUTPUT: Dual ESS SABRE32 ES9028Pro DAC chips; Fully balanced layout with high-quality components; Output connectors coupled with dual LUNDAHL LL7401 output transformers; Femto Clock System with precision FPGA distribution
- OPTICAL NETWORK: Industry-standard SFP; 1000Base-T Gigabit Ethernet; Adapter may be needed for your particular switch/cables; Use simultaneously with RJ45 (e.g. connect one to router and one to LUMIN L1 or NAS)
- POWER SUPPLY: Internal dual-toroidal; Separate digital & analogue circuitry; Low-noise linear regulator
- FINISH: Black anodised aluminium; Raw aluminium
- DIMENSIONS (SOLID ALUMINIUM CHASSIS): 350mm (W), 380mm (D), 107mm (H), 12kg
SPECIFICATION FOR ALL LUMIN MUSIC STREAMERS
- STREAMING PROTOCOL: UPnP AV protocol with audio streaming extension (OpenHome); Roon Ready; Spotify Connect; Flac lossless Radio stations; AirPlay-compatible; Gapless Playback; On-Device Playlist
- APP FEATURES: Native support for TIDAL, MQA, Qobuz and TuneIn Radio; Tidal MQA icons to identify high-res music; Qobuz high-res icons to identify high-res music; Volume control; High-resolution artwork; Artwork caching; Search; Multiple tag handling; Composer tag support; Album-grouping in playlist; Automatic internet links to artists/album/songs; Saving and restoring of playlists (including Tidal and Qobuz)
- SUPPORTED AUDIO FILE FORMATS: DSD Lossless: DSF (DSD), DIFF (DSD), DoP (DSD); PCM Lossless: FLAC, Apple Lossless (ALAC), WAV, AIFF; Compressed (lossy) Audio: MP3, AAC (in M4A container); MQA
- INPUT: Gigabit Ethernet Network (1000BASE-T) RJ45; Shared USB port can also be used for storage, flash drive, USB hard disk (Single-partition FAT32, exFAT and NTFS only)
- ANALOGUE AUDIO OUTPUTS: XLR balanced, 6Vrms, pin 2 Hot; RCA unbalanced, 3Vrms
- SUPPORTED CONTROL DEVICES: All models of Apple iPad (v2 or later). iOS 8.0 or later required. Full Retina Display support; Android devices. Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) or later required
- OTHER: Leedh Processing lossless digital volume control; Programme of Continuous Development – Firmware-upgradable for further features and enhancements