The Audio Tailor Voted #1 Australian Hi Fi Store 2021 + 2022
Lumin - X1 - Network Player
Thank you for visiting The Audio Tailor.
We’re Stuart, Gabby, Nathan and Vaughan. It’s a pleasure to have you here!
The first question we get from customers usually starts with, “What’s the difference between...”
When you’re shopping for new speakers, a turntable, or even thinking of putting together that home theatre of your teenage dreams - you’ll likely be faced with stacks of comparisons.
Why would I buy the Bluesound Pulse 2i when the Flex 2i is half the price?
Is Lumin the best?
Should I wait for a sale? Or get this now? What will I be missing out on when the new model comes out next year?
Endless questions. Lots of FOMO. Loads of hmm-ing and ha-ing.
And there SHOULD be.
Because you don’t go to a Hi-Fi store and drop $2000, $3000, or $15000 on something you're not 100%, positively, secure-in-your heart sure of.
It’s a lot of hard-earned money on the line.
Imagine doing hours of your own research. Reading up the suppliers’ websites, taking notes from Hi Fi blogs, categorizing the differing opinions as you trawl r/audiophile. You know what you’re getting. You’ve narrowed the online stores down to the final five. You’ve checked and re-checked that you’re getting the best deal. You’re sure you’re not getting ripped off by shipping.
You hit the “Checkout” button. Momentary relief!
Until your speakers haven’t arrived by the estimated delivery date and you have yet to hear a peep about its progress.
Until your new turntable arrives with a crack in the dust cover.
Until your long-awaited amp set-up fails to deliver the kind of sound you had in mind. Now you’re not even sure if you got the right one anymore, or how to troubleshoot it.
What could possibly be worse?
What about: No after-sales service. No phone number to call. And no one responding to your tickets.
Not to mention the hundreds of man hours you’ve already lost on reading layman opinions from the likes of Graham H. from Melbourne and Sarah D. from Perth; dutifully scrolling through pages and pages of reviews. Torturing yourself by looking for all the ones with less than 3 stars... when you could have been sitting back and diving into a whole new world of immersive sound and deliciously satisfying body vibrations.
Would it make sense to go to audio specialists that know brands, specs, and installation like the back of their hands?
Should you spend less time on weighing up pros and cons and more time enjoying good music?
Want to get the absolute best home theatre for your budget and surroundings without the weight of 100++ brand offerings bogging you down?
We like to think so!
And that’s why we’re here. Two things to know about us:
Thing 1: We were voted Australia’s 2021 Hi Fi Retailer of the Year (Yay! And THANK YOU!)
Thing 2: This is purely because we are sound specialists and audioheads - NOT salesmen.
We got into this business because we genuinely love audio and because we realized there was a lot of faceless dropshipping in the HiFi industry - and not enough expertise out there. People who keep coming back to us do so because they’re getting attention to detail and individualized solutions that they can’t find elsewhere.
Our clients don’t need to worry about budget, brand name, or size.
All they need to worry about, is talking to us.
Because, when you come to us, you’re in for a conversation.
We want to know the picture in your head.
That final portrait of you back from the flea market with Pearl Jam’s Ten, eager to place it gently upon a turntable you haven’t quite decided on yet.
A summer barbeque in your garden with the boys. Having a yarn around a beer-filled cooler while appreciating the crisp, clear, quality of sound streaming through the open doors of your listening space.
The kids having mates over - quiet for once - immersed in a good movie, lights out, in the comfort of the home theatre that is your pride and joy. “I wish we had one of these at our place!”
Once we know precisely what your ultimate scenario looks like, we’ll want to know what you’re working with.
What kind of budget have you set aside?
What’s the existing set-up look like?
How big is the listening room you have in mind?
How much ambient light is coming in?
Are you running drywall or wood panelling? Carpet or hardwood?
What about room resonance and reflection?
No idea what we’re going on about? No worries. We intend to talk you through all that. Our aim is that you get the absolute best sound system for your home, at a price point you’re happy with, and an aesthetic you can’t help but want to show off.
To get to this end goal, an unhealthy interest in all things audio simply isn’t enough. That’s why we spend countless hours behind the scenes sourcing products from only the most reliable brands and trustworthy suppliers - regardless of their branding and marketing.
We don’t rely on them to tell us what’s good about their equipment. We’ve developed our own proactive testing process to judge what’s what. So you get hands-on knowledge every single time. Coupled with our tight networks and stable supply chain meticulously refined over the years, we strive to ensure that the experience you get at The Audio Tailor is personal, seamless, and painless.
Personal, because it’s uniquely you in musicality, design, and taste. Your options are hand picked by us from amongst some of the world’s biggest, best, and most dependable brands.
Seamless, because we’re only small. You get one of us. Not one of dozens of salesmen milling about the place, working for commission and pushing the most expensive products.
Painless, because we don’t recommend anything until we’re clear about your needs. We follow up with you to make sure everything’s arrived in one piece. For us, the transaction isn’t over until your equipment is safely installed and fully satisfying.
Some of the big things we feel are missing in the HiFi world are:
- The need for expertise before, during, and after the sale
- A vast wealth of comparative knowledge, and
- A commitment to end-to-end service.
At The Audio Tailor, we hope we’ve made it clear that service doesn’t shut off when a problem pops up. It’s an opportunity to tighten the ship we run, bolster our 5-star reputation, and most importantly - make someone’s day.
Hi! We see you’ve actually made it to the end of this page. Love it!
We’d like to end this by giving a shout out to all the enthusiasts and audiophiles we’ve been fortunate enough to work with over the years. It has been a privilege to share our desire, passion, and journey for the purest sound and finest entertainment solutions for your homes and businesses.
Thank you to all our customers - past, present, and future - for helping us chase after something above the ordinary.
To make your audio dreams come true - call, email, or hop on down to our Brisbane store.
We’re looking forward to meeting you!
Streaming’s New Cutting Edge
Hear every last musical detail.
Re-engineered without compromise, LUMIN X1 redefines the digital musical experience.
- ES9038PRO SABRE DAC
- DSD512 22.6MHZ
- PCM 768KHZ
- USB OUTPUT
- ALL-NEW PSU
- OPTICAL NETWORK
WHY LUMIN X1
Never content, Lumin have been constantly been evaluating their streamers to see if there was any possible way to beat them. It's taken years, but finally they're ready to reveal Streaming's New Cutting Edge.
LUMIN X1 makes improvements in every possible location:
- New processor delivers native DSD512 & PCM768 playback
- Dual Mono design throughout maximises channel separation
- Dual ES9038Pro SABRE DACs featuring 140dB dynamic range
- Femto Clock System with precision FPGA distribution
- New Output Buffer design
- Dual Mono dual stage linear regulator
- Optical Network provides complete isolation from network digital noise
- USB Digital Audio Output supports Native DSD512
Entirely new Power Supply
- New solid billet CNC casing design
- Separate digital & analogue circuitry
- Low-noise linear regulator
- New 9-pin output connector
- Available as an upgrade for existing S1 / A1 / T1 customers
Supported Streaming Services
- Roon Ready
- TIDAL Connect
- Multi-Room functionality
Leedh Processing Digital Volume Control
Lossless volume control for all LUMIN players. LUMIN users now have the option to use (at no additional cost) Leedh Processing Volume Control instead of the default processing algorithm.
- An innovative new digital volume adjustment algorithm that eliminates rounding errors.
- Modifies the digital signal amplitude exactly, without any changes to its shape and free from any kind of information loss.
- Uses more efficient whole number volume values to maintain audio information integrity during subsequent DAC conversion.
- Low processing power requirements free up cpu resources.
- Removes need for a pre-amplifier in more systems.
- Improves the quality of the signal into LUMIN Amp.
Enquire for more information on how to use/turn off Leedh processing
- DSD SUPPORT: Up to DSD512 22.6MHz, 1-bit
- PCM SUPPORT: Up to 768kHz, 16–32-bit, Stere
- ANALOG OUTPUT STAGE: Dual ESS SABRE32 ES9038Pro DAC chips; Fully balanced layout with high-quality components; Output connectors coupled with dual LUNDAHL LL7401 output transformers; Femto Clock System with precision FPGA distribution
- UPSAMPLING RATES & BIT DEPTHS: DSD128 upsampling option for all files; PCM 384kHz upsampling option for all files
- DIGITAL OUTPUT STAGE: USB - Native DSD512 support; PCM 44.1–768kHz, 16–32-bit, Stereo | BNC SPDIF - PCM 44.1kHz–192kHz, 16–24-bit; DSD (DoP, DSD over PCM) 2.8MHz, 1-bit
- OPTICAL NETWORK: Industry-standard SFP; 1000Base-T Gigabit Ethernet; Adapter may be needed for your particular switch/cables; Use simultaneously with RJ45 (e.g. connect one to router and one to LUMIN L1 or NAS)
- POWER SUPPLY: External solid billet cnc dual-toroidal; Separate digital & analogue circuitry; Low-noise linear regulator; 9-pin Output Connector
- FINISH: Black anodised brushed aluminium (with matching PSU); Raw brushed aluminium (with matching PSU)
- LUMIN (SOLID ALUMINIUM CHASSIS): 350mm (W), 345mm (D), 60mm (H), 8kg
- PSU (SOLID ALUMINIUM CHASSIS): 106mm (W), 334mm (D), 60mm (H), 4kg
Specification for all Lumin Music Streamers
- STREAMING PROTOCOL: UPnP AV protocol with audio streaming extension (OpenHome), Roon Ready, Spotify Connect, AirPlay-compatible, Gapless Playback, On-Device Playlist
- APP FEATURES: Native support for TIDAL, MQA, Qobuz and TuneIn Radio., Tidal MQA icons to identify high-res music, Qobuz high-res icons to identify high-res music, Volume control, High-resolution artwork, Artwork caching, Search, Multiple tag handling, Composer tag support, Album-grouping in playlist, Automatic internet links to artists/album/songs, Saving and restoring of playlists (including Tidal and Qobuz)
- SUPPORTED AUDIO FILE FORMATS: DSD Lossless: DSF (DSD), DIFF (DSD), DoP (DSD); PCM Lossless: FLAC, Apple Lossless (ALAC), WAV, AIFF; Compressed (lossy) Audio: MP3, AAC (in M4A container); MQA
- INPUT: Ethernet RJ45 network 1000Base-T; USB storage, flash drive, USB hard disk (Single-partition FAT32, exFAT and NTFS only)
- ANALOGUE AUDIO OUTPUTS: XLR balanced, 6Vrms, pin 2 Hot; RCA unbalanced, 3Vrms
- SUPPORTED CONTROL DEVICES: All models of Apple iPad (v2 or later). iOS 8.0 or later required. Full Retina Display support.; Android devices. Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) or later required
- OTHER: Leedh Processing lossless digital volume control; Programme of Continuous Development – Firmware-upgradable for further features and enhancements